EMAIL YOUR SCHOOL PRINCIPAL: I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT DATA IS COLLECTED ON MY CHILD, HOW IT IS PROTECTED & WHO HAS ACCESS TO IT
Schools and educational apps have an unprecedented access to everything students do in class or at home on district-owned devices: web-browsing history, all files ever downloaded, research notes, and emails – with timestamps and often location attached to every activity. These massive databases are stored forever outside of user control under unknown data protection policies, becoming a toxic digital waste.
Tell your principal that you want to learn more about the school data collection and whether you can opt out of it.
PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING TEMPLATE AS A STARTING POINT FOR YOUR CONVERSATION WITH YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL PRINCIPAL. AS YOU COPY/PASTE THE TEXT INTO AN EMAIL DIRECTED TO YOUR SCHOOL, YOU CAN MODIFY THE LETTER BASED ON YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION OR USE AS IS.
Dear Principal __________,
I’m a parent of _________.
Our family would like to understand the school’s data protection policies so we can make informed decisions about our information security and privacy.
We would appreciate if you can help us learn more about the following:
- What data is collected on my child by the school, its contractors and any third party services and applications used in classrooms?
- Who on the school staff or among school contractors has access to my child’s data?
- What is the policy, if any, governing who may access my child’ data and under what circumstances?
- How is my child’s information protected, if at all, against security breaches?
- How long does the school and third party apps/services retain my child’ data?
- Does the school have access to the following when my child is using the school-provided device?
- Location information & IP addresses;
- Camera & microphone;
- Wi-Fi networks ever connected to and their passwords.
- Does the school offer a way for families to opt out or minimize the data collection by the school and any third party apps/services used in classrooms?
Thank you for any information you can provide on this matter.